Just because your child is challenging, doesn’t mean that you aren’t still his parent. Spend the weekend with your case-manager, social-worker, education-consultant, medical-scheduler, worry-wart, and future-predictor hats on a shelf, and just be your child’s parent for the day. Reconnecting with the parts of our kids that are the most fun, special, and awe-inspiring often gets left off the never-ending to do list in the hustle of the day to day management of all of their needs – choose this weekend to honor who they really are and let them be kids!
Here are my straightforward and simple parenting reminders – nothing new here folks! – just trying to get you in the right mind set for a weekend spent enjoying your child!
Please add your favorite kid-centric weekend activity in the comments below!
1. Let them eat dessert
2. Play an old fashioned board game
3. Teach them something you loved as a kid
4. Bake cookies
5. Laugh about when they were a baby
6. Make a mud puddle
7. Play the, “Remember when … “ game
8. Recall favorite vacations
9. Just listen
10. Read together
11. Remember to SMILE when your child walks in the room – they need to know you missed them
12. Lead with the positive
13. Go through old photos
14. Be playful – every moment doesn’t have to be a teaching moment
15. Skip rocks – or just throw them in the lake!
16. Allow your child a mental health day; they have as much stress as we do
17. Play dress up – YOU TOO!
18. Compliment them
19. Remind them of their of past successes
20. Watch a movie
21. Go bowling
22. Talk about your hopes for the future
23. Let them pick what to make for dinner
24. Make ice cream sundaes
25. Reward them for just being themselves
Hope you have sun like we do in Seattle!
Photo: Nick being silly in Victoria at the totem pole park. He cracks me up!